OCT 25, 2014 SAT 14:00–16:00
Cai Guo-Qiang “Children Da Vincis” Project
Cai Guo-Qiang “Children Da Vincis” Workshop, Oct. 25
“What’s important isn’t whether you can fly.” —Cai Guo-Qiang
* Repeat participations in more than one workshop are welcome.
Parasophia: Kyoto International Festival of Contemporary Culture 2015 presents Children Da Vincis, a project where children create objects that will be included in the Chinese artist Cai Guo-Qiang’s installation for the international exhibition in 2015. Cai has spent nearly a decade on his ongoing Peasant Da Vincis project, in which he collects pieces such as robots, submarines, and airplanes that cannot fly, made by amateur inventors using materials found in their everyday lives. His installation for Parasophia: Kyoto International Festival of Contemporary Culture 2015 will include a combination of Peasant Da Vincis and the objects made for the Children Da Vincis project.
The first Children Da Vincis workshop was held in September 2014. The objects created with everyday materials and the rich imagination of the children participating in the workshops will be exhibited during Parasophia: Kyoto International Festival of Contemporary Culture 2015 at the Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art as part of the installation by Cai Guo-Qiang.
Children Da Vincis is based on the Peasant Da Vincis project. In the Children Da Vincis workshops, children between ages 5–10 will be invited to set their imaginations free and create objects using everyday materials that will be included in Cai Guo-Qiang’s installation during Parasophia: Kyoto International Festival of Contemporary Culture 2015.
Cai Guo-Qiang (蔡国强)
b. 1957 in Quanzhou, Fujian Province, China; based in New York. Parasophia: Kyoto International Festival of Contemporary Culture 2015 participating artist. Read more: Cai Guo-Qiang
- Cai Guo-Qiang “Children Da Vincis” Project: Workshop, Oct. 25
Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:00–4:00 PM
* More workshops will be held from November 2014 onward. Participation in more than one workshop is permitted.
Kyoto Art Center
546-2 Yamabushiyama-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto 604-8156
5 min. walk from Exits 22 or 24, Shijo Station, Kyoto Municipal Subway Karasuma Line (Station K09) and Karasuma Station, Hankyu Kyoto Line (Station HK85)
- Free (reservation required)
- Japanese, English, and Korean
- Seats available
- 20 seats; first come first served, reservation required
- Age limit
- Ages 5 to 10; must be accompanied by guardian (adult participation is limited to observation only)
- How to register
- Registration begins on Sept. 25 (Thu). Please send in the participant’s name, age (grade level), date of workshop, language skills, guardian’s name, phone number, and e-mail address by either e-mail or FAX.
- Where to register
* Please include the phrase “Children Da Vincis Workshop Oct. 25” in the subject line.
- Questions and comments